0 items, $0.00
Sorry, nothing in cart.
|Preparation Time:||25 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||15 minutes.|
For the rasam:
1. 9-10 medium size red and juicy tomatoes
2. 1 or 2cups water
For the spice herb mixture:
1. ½ cup coriander stems with or without leaves
2. 1 inch ginger
3. 8-9 garlic
4. 10-12 black pepper
5. 1 tbsp cumin seeds
For the tempering:
1. 2 tbsp oil
2. 2 to 3 sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta
3. a pinch of asafoetida/hing
4. 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
5. 1 tsp urad dal
6. 1 or 2 red chillies, broken
7. ½ tsp turmeric powder/hald
1. blanch or steam the tomatoes.
2. once they cool, chop them and blend to a smooth puree.
3. in a grinder or mortar and pestle make a coarse paste of all the ingredients mentioned in the spice herb mixture
4. fry the urad dal till light brown and then add all the other tempering ingredients, except turmeric powder.
5. fry the urad dal till light brown and then add all the other tempering ingredients, except turmeric powder.
6. fry for a minute.
7. add the coarse herb and spice paste. add turmeric powder and fry for a minute.
8. now add the tomato puree.
9. add the water and salt.
10. bring to a thorough boil and then simmer for 10-12 minutes.
11. garnish tomato rasam with coriander leaves.
12. serve tomato rasam hot with rice.
The tomato rasam can be had with rice or with medu vadas or idlis. you can also have it plain as a soup with some
warm or toasted bread.